Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Mozart in the Jungle

The Living Composer invites readers to visit the site of his friend Blair Tindall. (Click on the title of this post for the link.) From her site, you can link to several of here excellent articles pertaining to issues faced by classical musicians. I'm looking forward to her book Mozart in the Jungle due out soon.

Here’s a thumbnail of her bio:
Journalist and oboist Blair Tindall writes about classical music for the New York Times and has performed, toured and recorded with the New York Philharmonic and many other musical groups. She has taught journalism at Stanford University and oboe at the University of California-Berkeley.

http://mozartinthejungle.com/

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After having linked to Ms. Tindall's "Mozart in the Jungle" site I decided to download the excerpt from her book. Now, I'm a classical musician --I've been through the conservatory meat-grinder (a pianist myself). I've played in some high places...even rubbed some famous shoulders. However, I could not escape reading Ms. Tindall's excerpt without feeling like I was being spoonfed a great deal of sensationalism. Lofty descriptions of certain conductors, "scandalous" accounts of low-brow alcohol binging around concerts, classical musicians trekking through piss-drenched New York City on the way to their seats on stage at Avery Fischer Hall....c'mon. I mean, I sometimes find the heady brew of low mixed with high a guilty pleasure, but in this instance it may be hitting a bit close to home.

One man's opinoin.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Forrest Covington said...

Hello! I know Blair quite well, we both come from Chapel Hill, NC and went to high school etc. I was even her boyfriend for a short while! I looked for her blog from you link but I couldn't find it, it has been removed from Blogger or something. If she has changed URL's please let me know! Also, tell Blair to look me up.

I like your blog! I will put a link in my sidebar for you.

teforrestATmindspring.com

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home